Tech Documentation info to Developers and QA

Subject: Tech Documentation info to Developers and QA
From: "Pooja Malhotra" <pooja -dot- malhotra -at- induslogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:15:48 +0530

Hi everyone,

I am the only technical writer in our organization and facing some
problems when dealing with developers and QA team. They have their
predefined ways of doing things and so do not give ear to what I say
concerning documentation. Every time, I have to explain the
documentation process to them and still is ignored. For example, the GUI
of one of the software was not User-friendly and so I asked them to make
some changes. But I was refused straight away and was asked to document
the same. Because of the unfriendliness of the labels and terms used, I
was facing problems in documenting things. After finishing, when I asked
them to review the doc, they got pretty annoyed with me. As per them,
writing is my department and I must write accurately and should not ask
them for reviews. Did I do anything wrong by asking them to test the doc
for its technical correctness?

I have been asked to give a presentation to the QA team, where in I can
explain them the fundamentals and keys tips to test a document against
the software. I have some knowledge as per my experience and exposure to
technical writing but still would appreciate if you could provide me
some more tips.

Many Thanks,

Pooja

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com