RE: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there, or hearing AND seeing, but it makes no sense.

Subject: RE: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there, or hearing AND seeing, but it makes no sense.
From: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:18:32 -0600

>>But if you are the system administrator of a large box that just arrived
from IBM,
>>and you open up the manual and see a reference to an AMD, before too long
you will
>>probably know exactly what an AMD is.

Yes, but if you are the system administrator of a large box that just
arrived from IBM, and you open up the manual and see a reference to a
__fan__, you will know what it is right from the get-go. Without having to
go to the glossary or look at a picture to find out what the dickens they're
talking about.

And isn't that what it's all about? If one could just cut-and-paste
engineering gobbledygook right into the documentation, who would need
technical writers?

"Air Moving Device" my patootie. If I ever buy something that comes with a
manual that makes reference to an Air Moving Device when they mean a "fan",
I'm boxing it up and sending it right back. And inasmuch as "Air" and
"Moving" serve as a compound adjective in this case, shouldn't they be
hyphenated? Woof.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com