RE: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there

Subject: RE: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there
From: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:09:06 -0600

>>Someone mentioned something to the effect that he'd never seen a computer
that had anything other than a fan.

Physician, heal thyself. What I actually said was:

>>Yes, I know that, but I've never seen a bellows inside a computer.

I have seen plenty of things inside computers besides fans, but I have never
seen an Air Moving Device inside a computer (or most other machinery,
although I am familiar with the ram air things that the greasers used to
augment horsepower with when I was a kid) that could not more simply and
understandably be referred to as a "fan".

If Samuel Choy's Devil's advocate position is correct, and (inferring and
implying a little here, so bear with me) the part is known by the company's
customers as an AMD and the term refers to the entier fan (woops, AMD)
assembly, then there may have been grounds for requesting a name change.
However, I would suggest that whoever coined the original nomenclature had
delusions of grandeur. Why not just call it a "fan assembly". Not only is
it less pompous and ambiguous than AMD (brings to my mind visions of some
kind of wheelbarrow for air for use in another galaxy), but it would appear
to be more "technically correct", as the fan (or whatever you want to call
it) is the only part that actually moves the air...the housing, the mounting
hardware, ducts, duct (duck) tape, wiring, etc., do not serve that function.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com