Presentation of detailed images in a User's Guide?

Subject: Presentation of detailed images in a User's Guide?
From: "Cummings, Elizabeth" <Elizabeth -dot- Cummings -at- pearson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:35:20 -0600

Anyone out there who can point me in the direction of online or hard copy
user's guides whose authors did a nice job of presenting detailed images of
interfaces or reports?

I document a system that has at least 30 interfaces and that generates about
75 reports. Both the interfaces and the reports have many, many fields
and/or objects that need defining, and I am looking for good examples that
can serve as models for the work I need to do. Haven't found any, so far.

I'm also interested in hearing any advice on how to handle presenting such
detailed images in a meaningful but uncluttered manner.

Up until this point in time, I have simply posted an image and placed a
table of field/object names and corresponding definitions beneath, due to
lack of time.

I've considered the following alternative approaches, but the disadvantages
seem to outweigh the advantages. I am eager to hear of others that might
work better:

1. mapping each field/object of an image so a user could click a particular
field/object and instantly see the corresponding definition in the table I
created:

advantage:
--user wouldn't need to scroll to the table

disadvantages:
--because each image is very detailed, and because there are many images,
this is labor intensive.
--"it takes a very steady hand", as many fields/objects are a hair's breadth
apart from one another.
--while the user's guide is primarily used as an online resource, if it is
printed, the mapping doesn't help the user.

2. drawing a line from each field/object on the image out to white space,
where the field/object can be defined

advantages:
--user sees image and definition in one glance/wouldn't need to scroll.
--benefits both online and printed copy users.

disadvantages:
--because each image is very detailed, and because there are many images,
this is labor intensive.
--because there are many fields/objects a hair's breadth apart from one
another, and most definitions are fairly long, white space quickly becomes
cluttered space.

3. creating "mouse overs" for each field/object on the image so a user could
hover over a particular field/object and instantly see the corresponding
definition in the table I created:

advantage:
--user wouldn't need to scroll to the table

disadvantages:
--because each image is very detailed, and because there are many images,
this is labor intensive.
--"it takes a very steady hand", as many fields/objects are a hair's breadth
apart from one another.
--while the user's guide is primarily used as an online resource, if it is
printed, the mouse over doesn't help the user.
--most importantly, so many of the definitions are fairly lengthy, the
longevity of the "pop-up" window doesn't allow the user to really take in
the definition.

Thanks for any input you may have!
--E.

Elizabeth Cummings, Technical Writer
ePEN Program Team
Pearson Educational Measurement
2510 North Dodge Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
319/354-9200, ext. 4692

If you were not an intended recipient,

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com