RE: techie or font fondler? - introspection ad nauseum

Subject: RE: techie or font fondler? - introspection ad nauseum
From: "Lakritz, Andrew M." <Andrew -dot- Lakritz -at- Ruesch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:26:04 -0500

In my experience, the opposite has been the case. I once drove fresh peaches
to market on a flat bed, and I knew long haul truckers who laughed at my
rig. I taught English at a university where literary theorists ridiculed
folks who taught literature. I worked in textbook publishing where
commercial publishers looked down their noses at our activities. I worked at
the State Department where the foreign service officers often looked down on
their civil service colleagues. For each one of these observable behaviors,
when these tensions and differences manifest themselves, there are often
entire institutional structures that back them up and reinforce them, from
unions to departments to associations and clubs. Divide and conquer I
suppose. My guess is that a big cause for introspection on the list is
employment pressures.

The discussion has been useful to me, however. I've only been in this
business six years and its useful to see how may different ways there are to
skin a cat, as it were.

Andy Lakritz

You know, I've worked in a wide variety of fields before getting into
technical writing. But only in this field have I seen so much time and
energy devoted to analyzing and discussing what qualifies one to be a "real"
practitioner of the occupation.

I mean, I never once sat behind the wheel and thought, "Am I a REAL truck
driver?" And none of us really talked about it on the loading dock.

It's interesting the introspection this profession brings out in us...

Keith Cronin
fondling fonts in a technical way since 1997

e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
The views, opinions, and information expressed in this message represents
those of the individual sender and do not reflect the views of Ruesch
International, Inc. Take notice that the employees and/or agents of Ruesch
International are not authorized to make corporate commitments or
representations via e-mail and no statement or representation made in this
e-mail is binding upon Ruesch International. Ruesch cannot guarantee the
integrity or the confidentiality of any incoming or outgoing e-mail
communication.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com