RE: Meta-Topic On Discussions (delete as appropriate)

Subject: RE: Meta-Topic On Discussions (delete as appropriate)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:07:13 -0800 (PST)

--- kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

> But I believe the topic that spawned this thread is destined for permanent
> looping - like you, I think most of its participants are not trying to
> actually *learn* anything from it.

Actually, the threads of the past week had less to do with my questions than some
private dialogs I've been involved in the past two weeks on a topic that is not
suitable to this list. I've seen the variations on "how much technical knowledge
does a technical writer need" thread to know that plenty of people would have plenty
of opinions. I've begun to realize that I don't need to comment much on the list
because whatever I might say will often be said, perhaps even better, by others, and
I don't need to defend my positions anymore or prove that I'm more right that
others. (Except that I am only human and can't always resist dipping an oar in the
waters. <g>)

I realized that I was corresponding with someone who is a very reasonable person,
and we were looking at exactly the same situation, yet we saw nothing in common
about it. It is as if we're two blind people who have stumbled upon an elephant.
We're at opposite ends. We both think we've found a tale and an opening at the base
of the tale. And we're absolutely convinced that the other person MUST be at the
head (if only the idiot would realize that).

Not only is the situation frustrating when everyone "knows" the truth; it's even
worse to realize that we'll never see things the same way. It's a wonder to me that
there is dialog at all.

TGIF!

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 02/26/2003
--God save The United States of America--

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com