Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:50:06 -0800

As a manager, I have always authorized reimbursement or PO payment for any class that I send
an employee to because I think it will enhance that person's value to me (and as I said previously,
when I "suggest" to an employee of mine that they would benefit from taking a particular class, it's
"sending them"), and have them schedule the class during office hours with the proviso that they
need to plan their class time for upcoming slow times in their project schedules because they still
need to meet all their deadlines (the exception to this is if I'm sending them for a specific project
and the need is urgent). If they prefer to take evening or weekend classes for their convenience,
that's up to them, but they're salaried so there's no OT. If an employee comes to me with a class
they'd like to take, if it isn't immediately obvious to me that the class will enhance their value to me,
I ask them how they think it relates to their work. I'm pretty liberal about accepting their answers
(if they've taken any time time at all to think of a way the class relates, chances are I'll take it), and
the scheduling and timing is on the same basis as classes I send them to. All of the above applies
to direct employees only, I've never been with a company that would spring for any kind of training
for contractors except for mandated internal safety orientations.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 07:13 PM 2/25/2003 +0100, Jan Henning wrote:

There are arguments for the company paying for the time as well as for them not paying. In the end, I suspect it is impossible to make general statements about all such trainings regarding whether the company should pay or not. Different arrangements are likely appropriate depending on the exact circumstances.

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com