RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.

Subject: RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:12:34 -0500

If a document is classified as ....classified, then you are right. However,
the point would be moot because as a classified document (in the true
definition of the term), the controls involved in creating it preclude you
even having a copy with which to be tempted.

OTOH, IMHO, proprietary...that's more grayscale. My position has been that
if the document contains information that can be garnered by other means and
as long as you don't use the document from one industry in an interview with
a company of the same industry, and wherever you are showing it, you don't
leave a copy and don't allow note taking or photocopying, then nobody is
going to ding you.

Example: If I show a procedural document on deploying a web server at an
interview for a company in the aero industry on documenting a sales process,
or a manual on deploying an Win2000 MSMQ2.0 client at a company who's
platform is *NIX, would anyone complain? I think not. Do you think that if
you left the company on good terms, that they are going to take you on
simply because you want your next job to pay for your and yours food and
rent?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com