Re: "Platform" vs. "OS"?

Subject: Re: "Platform" vs. "OS"?
From: hedley_finger -at- myob -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:24:05 +1100

All:

> > The client's docs refer to Windows and Macintosh as platforms. In
> > addition to straightening out their belief that Windows is a
> > computer, what's your understanding regarding usage of these terms?
> >
> > My experience is that a platform refers to Macintosh, Dell, or
> > Toshiba, whereas OS refers to UNIX, Windows, or Mac OS.
> >

> My understanding is as follows:
> From the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary, Third Edition:
>
> platform
>
> n. 1. The foundation technology of a computer system. Because computers
are
> layered devices composed of a chip-level hardware layer, a firmware and
> operating-system layer, and an applications program layer, the bottommost
> layer of a machine is often called a platform. 2. In everyday usage, the
type
> of computer or operating system being used.
>
> Bonnie Granat

I would suggest that "platform" refers to both the hardware AND the OS.
Point: Linux runs on Intel and PowerPC but an application that runs on
Linux (Intel) may not run on Linux (PowerPC) if the manufacturer has not
provided a binary or the means to roll your own.

Also consider Solaris (SPARC and Intel processors), Intel processors
(Windows, Linux, and Solaris). So what 'platform' means to your reader may
well be determined by what you are trying to say about the product's
OS/hardware compatibility.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com