Re: Modify/Edit/Save button name

Subject: Re: Modify/Edit/Save button name
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:19:28 +0100

Apply is standard UI jargon for "commit the changes I made without
closing the window". It's fairly ubiquitous.

the possibility of confusion alone seems to make "Save" a better
choice.

I've never seen Save used where it doesn't also close the window, and
it's most commonly used in file dialogs. I think Save is out of place
here.

This appears to me as a problem that has already been solved in
countless UIs. I'd say stick with common, known usage.

These comments are valid for settings dialogs and the like. In that case, it is indeed fairly obvious that you want to apply the changes to whatever they apply to.

However, in the case at hand, we're talking about a button for each individual record in a database that stores editing changes (as opposed to activating settings). This is, in my opinion, more like saving, e.g., a text document than applying settings. Therefore I still think that Save is the more natural and standard choice and Apply could be confusing.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com