Re: Disclaimer or urban legend?

Subject: Re: Disclaimer or urban legend?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:18:10 -0800 (PST)

--- "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote:

> I received a long note via e-mail that claimed to be the text for a "Waiver
> of Liability" to recreationists intending to visit the Nelson Rocks Preserve
> in West Virginia. It begins like this:

{SNIP}

> I don't imagine this is actually what appears at the Preserve; it reads far
> more like what a park ranger would dearly love to say to a certain subgroup
> of wilderness tourist but would be sacked for doing so. So my question is
> twofold: First, does the claim that this is the real waiver have any basis
> in fact? Second, has anyone seen such a warning message "in the wild" (in
> cities too <g>) or used a similar style themselves?

I've not seen that one, which surprises me since I seem to get every bogus email
that goes around. (Hmm, maybe that's why I didn't get it?)

I did a quick check of snopes.com, but I didn't find any reference to the Nelson
Rock Preserve, nor did I find anything in their Legal section. Doesn't prove
anything other than this may be a new one.

For those who are interested, I include a list of resources one can use to check the
veracity of various types of emails that come your way. I add a plea to this that
you don't pass along emails that you agree with without first checking on their
veracity, as any good Technical Writer would (TW tie-in). I'm not going to bore the
list with the scams that are out there, some of which are reported by reputable news
organizations. I do ask that you do what you can to stop the bogus appeals and scare
emails that go around by checking them out first and sending out the truth when you
can ferret it out.

Here's the resources I use:
http://www.csicop.org
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org
http://www.quackwatch.com
http://www.snopes.com
http://www.truthorfiction.com
http://www.urbanlegends.com
http://www.urbanlegends.about.com
http://www.vmyths.com

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 10/28/02
--First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis (1380 - 1471), 1420--

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com