Re: Working in Australia / New Zealand

Subject: Re: Working in Australia / New Zealand
From: "Bill Hall" <bill -dot- hall -at- hotkey -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:42:53 +1100

Sarah Payne said she is planning on moving to either Australia or New
Zealand to work a couple of years. I can't speak for New Zealand, but if she
wants to know about Australia, she should definitely sign onto the Aussie
equivalent of Techwr-l: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/austechwriter.
Normally runs between 10 and 20 messages a day, which is more in proportion
to our population even than Techwr-l gets.

Personally, I have been in the defence industry working for the same company
for 13 years and haven't had to look for a job, but I gather our market
isn't much better than the US. Introduce yourself around via Austechwriter.
Cities with significant software development are Sydney and Melbourne. If
you are into procedures and the like, Canberra (our National Capital) might
offer some possibilities. Significant Defence contractors doing
documentation development are in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and around
Brisbane - somewhat less in Sydney.

Bear in mind that the Aussie Dollar is weak against the US ~ $0.60 recently,
and our salaries in $A are probably in the same range that you would be
making in $US. If you are not planning on going back with a nest egg doesn't
make much difference, because living expenses are also proportionately less
unless you indulge in buying books via Amazon.

Regards

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Strategy and Development