RE: credit check for interviews

Subject: RE: credit check for interviews
From: Alan Bucher <bucherino -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:16:52 -0800 (PST)

Matt M. wrote:
>This is purely speculative, of course, but I'd sure feel a lot more
>comfortable if I knew I was hiring someone who's exercised some
>responsibility in their private finances as well as their
>professional work.

And I'd feel better if I knew I was hiring someone who wasn't going
to get pregnant, or who wasn't going to be taking off to celebrate
all sorts of religious holidays, who wasn't off visiting the kids on
the weekends when there's work to be done in the office, and who
doesn't have a history of schizophrenia running in their family.***
However, that's none of my business.

There are laws to address the particular areas I covered, and those
laws apparently don't cover a credit check. But just because
something is legal doesn't mean it's reasonable or appropriate.

Whether I missed a credit card payment has no bearing on my job
performance. It could mean I'm irresponsible, or it could mean I'm
going to work hard at my job so I can earn money to pay off my debts.
Or it means that I have different financial management philosophies
or luck than you do. Or maybe I'm rich and I'm too focused on
producing quality documentation to care about late fee. None of which
have anything to do with my work ethic.

***(That's all sarcasm; please don't flame me!)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com