Re: RE: reviewing user manuals

Subject: Re: RE: reviewing user manuals
From: Michelle Petersen <mpetersen74 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:00:25 -0500

I'm in a similar situation at my company, and I agree with this--I usually have marketing review my work for their official "message" and "terms." Usually, I get good feedback that doesn't impact the main content of the doc.

I'd add that you probably know the folks in marketing reasonably well, and to use your judgement on when to include them in the process. If your marketing group has too much time on their hands and tends to micromanage, your situation is probably one where it's easier to ask for "forgiveness" than to ask for "permission."

> From: Patrice Dodd <PatriceD -at- caesy -dot- com>
> Date: 2003/01/31 Fri AM 11:37:20 EST
> To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
> Subject: RE: reviewing user manuals
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm the lone tech writer at my company. I usually involve the marketing
> manager in reviews towards the end of the project to make sure that nothing,
> especially in section intros, conflicts with the marketing message. Usually
> her changes don't affect the concept or how-to sections at all. This may be
> because I specify what I want her review to concentrate on.
>
> Patrice Dodd

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com