RE: Blog?

Subject: RE: Blog?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:15:59 -0000

Indeed. Like any new communication medium (or, more accurately, model),
people currently tend to be obsessed with the medium itself. I'm sure
when email was first popularized, people were like "man, isn't this
email cool?" As weblogs become more commonplace, hopefully some of the
conceit will go away.

Ultimately, though, the blog is a bit of the celebrity fantasy. The
publishing bar has been lowered to a point where anyone can say what
they think to a potentially enormous audience. Unfortunately, for 99% of
bloggers (myself included), that audience is more like 6. I don't
actually track traffic on my blog for that reason...I expect that the
results would be too depressing.

That said, there's no denying the inertia behind the blog meme. Blogger
recently announced that they now host more than a million blogs. That's
a lot of personal publishing. I'd bet that were I to spell-check this
email with, say, Outlook 2004, "blog" wouldn't be flagged as a
misspelled word. DB.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com