Re: Word 2000 Creating Arabic Template - Help

Subject: Re: Word 2000 Creating Arabic Template - Help
From: Marj Tiefert <matiefert -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:03:42 -0800

Hi Clare,

In article <C478872F2297EA429FC5A331A0F74BF5191B44 -at- edamsnet -dot- edams -dot- com -dot- cy>, "Claire Philpott" <claire -at- edams -dot- com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I need to create a template into which I can place and format translated =
> text. I can't believe that it is as simple as adding Arabic fonts to the =
> styles in an existing template for the corresponding English document.
>
> Can anyone suggest places where I can go for help, or if you have done =
> this before any pointers on what to do and what to look out for?

You'll probably have to install Arabic language support on your machine. Arabic reads from right to left, and what you paste in won't flow properly if your machine assumes it's just another strange font. You'll get gibberish if your line lengths are different from the original and your machine tries to fill in short lines while assuming that the text reads left to right as in English.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert PhD science editing services
http://science.tiefert.com/

"The theorist who reduces the chemical process to the positions of atoms would doubtless thereby render chemistry calculable." (S. T. Coleridge, 1772-1834)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com