Re: The Lone Writer

Subject: Re: The Lone Writer
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:52:52 -0700

As a lone writer for over four years, I understand your concerns. But don't
be shocked or frightened - you're the one they kept. It sounds like they
think more highly of your talent than you do. Remember that.

> How do you manage your workload and projects?

Ask questions. Find out everything you can about the deadlines on the
various projects, and what's due. Find out if they'll need you to do
something else besides write, If they've dumped a lot of people, chances
are that you may have to wear more hats. They may need you for some "lowly"
task ASAP, like editing or copy/binding. Smile and say, "Fine."

A key is to let your superior know you're not floundering. If you simply
jot down the documentation deliverables for all projects on a big board in
your cubicle/office the logical conclusion is: This person knows what's
going on.

Then write something.

> How do you evaluate your work to identify where you need to improve?

Self-improvement is always worthy, but don't dwell on it too much at this
point. You're the writer they kept around, so whatever you're doing is
impressing your superiors.

> What about training and career development? My new manager doesn't really
> know a thing about documentation.
Two different things. If this company has a future, you're in a great
position to become more influential when the company expands again. If your
boss is ignorant, consider it an opportunity to take the burden of
understanding documentation completely off this person's shoulders. You're
not just the Lone Writer. You're the documentation department. You're the
expert. They want you to write what they need. Find out what they need,
and write it - and let them know you're doing it. And don't worry about
your output not being good enough. Again: You were retained. You weren't
fired. Your output is good enough. And with only one writer, all they
probably want is timely output. Not illusory corporate strategies, not
processes. Whatever internal strategy you devise that gets words out of
your noggin and into a document is good enough.

Regarding training, don't worry at this stage. If I was your superior and
you came to me asking about training (in what? - new tools, better writing
skills?) I might rethink the reasons for keeping you on the payroll. You
may have been kept on precisely because you don't need a lot of training.
And if they suddenly decide (they, not you) that a new tool is needed for
some document, say: "Fine. There's a learning curve, but no big deal."

A few other suggestions. Learn the basics (or more, if possible) of the
technology that you're documenting.

If one project manager is hemming and hawing about deadlines, let them know
that you allocate your time based on known deadlines, and if this person
suddenly needs you for a few weeks you might not be available.

Breathe slowly. Smile. Learn to say both "Yes" and "No" with authority.
Don't worry about tools.

Remember - you're the writer who wasn't fired, so your knowledge, output,
and experience (or perhaps your pay grade!) is what the company wants. You
must be doing something right.

Get on company mailing lists for all projects.

Not only are we making it up as we go along, it's also all done with
mirrors.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com