Re: The Lone Writer

Subject: Re: The Lone Writer
From: "Randall Larson-Maynard" <rlarson-maynard -at- idicorp -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:51:12 -0800

Kim

First, let me tell you that you can do this. I am a lone writer in a
startup. It is a lot of responsibility and effort, but the personal payoff
is pretty good.

SNIP>
How do you manage your workload and projects?
SNIP>

I give what I have time to give. I keep in mind that I have only so much
time, and too many projects. You have to get the projects into some sort of
priority ,even if that's just in your head. Get whoever tells you what to do
to tell you what is the highest priority and when it needs to be done. Do it
and move on. I have had to learn to say "yes, with conditions." I say yes I
can do that to some extent; here's what you will get based on my limited
resources.

SNIP>
How do you evaluate your work to identify where you need to improve?
SNIP>

If you're a good writer, you'll know. You'll see the holes long before
someone else will.

SNIP>
What about training and career development? My new manager doesn't really
know a thing about documentation.
SNIP>

Insist on what you need. I had to twist arms the first two weeks I was here
to get the Adobe Publishing suite. I needed it to do my job. I made my case
with strength and diplomacy. I did the dance. Training and career
development? You're about to get on the both, in spades!

SNIP>
Is there anything I can read that address issues faced by solo writers?
SNIP>

I have no time to read anything but this list (barely, at that), and if you
search the archive you should find some discussions.

Now get to work! (sound of a whip cracking)

--
Randall Larson-Maynard
Technical Publications Lead

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com