RE: The importance of having technical credibility

Subject: RE: The importance of having technical credibility
From: "Robert Wisbey" <robert-wisbey -at- scitech-consultants -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:56:32 +0100

Bruce,

I partially think it depends on the developers / SMEs you work with, and
the level of experience you have as a writer. For example, if a
technical writer is a trainee then maybe they would be forgiven for not
being so technically proficient. If however a technical writer has a few
years experience then they should really know their stuff in the area
they have covered during their career. In saying that, I hate to admit
the fact that I have come across some technical writers with more
experience than me (I have about 5 years) that do not know how to
install and use FTP Client software, and who "copy and paste" technical
specifications into an end user document.

Regardless of whether a technical writer's background is
artistic/scientific/technical, the fact of the matter is that with time,
an experienced technical writer *should* naturally develop *both* a
writing and technical skills to a high level. If they cannot achieve
*both* then they are in the wrong career.

Rob Wisbey
http://www.robertwisbey.com