Re: Word solidifies dashed lines in Visio objects

Subject: Re: Word solidifies dashed lines in Visio objects
From: DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:13:36 -0700

And the answer is...

The larger the rectangle, the greater the value needed for the Line Weight
(not Line Pattern) of the dashed line in Visio. I increased the Line
Weight for each rectangle in Visio until its embedded object in Word
displayed dashed lines and not solid lines. For the largest rectangles, I
needed a Line Weight of 9!

This bug -- ha-ha, I mean "feature" -- may result from my embedding Visio
2002 drawings in a Word 2000 document. Or it may just be Bill G's
inimitable sense of humor.

Thanks to Tom, Rasil, Margaret, Laura, and all others who chimed in with
suggestions.

Dan Goldstein

> > --- DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this one before? A drawing created in Visio has rectangles
> > > with dashed lines (Pattern 16 in Visio). When the Visio drawing is
> > > embedded in a Word document, those lines become solid, both on the monitor
> > > and on the printed page. But when the Visio object is opened from Word,
> > > the lines still show up dashed.
> >
> > That sounds like something that would happen in the drawing being compressed into
> > the Word document. Is the Visio going into a smaller space than it would if you just
> > printed the drawing without first putting it in a Word doc?
>
> 1. Thanks, Tom
>
> 2. No, the Visio drawing is formatted in Word at 100%.
>

> > Also, have you tried printing the drawing from Visio?
> >

> 3. Yes, it works fine in Visio, both on the monitor and on the printed
> page.
>
> > =====
> > Tom Murrell

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com