Re: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume)

Subject: Re: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume)
From: guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:57:13 -0800

Tom Murrell wrote:

Some of us can add that we were programming in several different assembler languages
before many of you were even born! I'll bet Diane has forgotten more programming
than some of the current hot shots even know!

Tom (Okay, it's time for my pills again, isn't it? I'll go quietly.)

I remember talking with a newly hired software developer (some
years ago) about our respective educations...

I pointed out that I had been finishing the final project in my
first programming class (FORTRAN), sitting there at the keypunch
when someone came in and reported that President John F. Kennedy
had been shot. I did not believe him. We had only 2 keypunches,
and he was not going to get me off this one with such an outlandish
tale.

When my task was completed, I submitted my deck in the inbox
for processing by the computer (IBM 1620), and went out into
the hallway. The hallway was rather dark. I went outside, and saw
the US flag in front of the Admin Building was at half staff.
I rushed to a radio.

I asked my colleague what he had been doing at that point in history. He replied that he had not been born yet.

I did not get into assembly language programming until the next quarter, at the beginning of 1964, and did not touch mainframe assembler until
1967, on the IBM 360. Had to READ 7044 and 7094 assembly code and see
about rendering the same algorithms in 360 assembler for a while there.

--Guy K. Haas guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com