Interleaf, arcane? was Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Interleaf, arcane? was Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Nora Merhar <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:27:36 -0600

Geez...

In my years as a TW (all 12 or so of them since graduate school) over 4 jobs, the ONLY desktop publishing program I have used is Interleaf. Spent 2 years using Word Perfect in my first TW job, but in the other 3 (including my current job) I use/have used Interleaf. I finished up someone else's product in Framemaker a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that THAT feels arcane and tough to use! I managed to figure out what I had to do, but I would definitely need a class just to show me the reasoning behind the way things are set up (didn't seem intuitive at all). Even something that SHOULD have been easy--making a PDF from Frame--wasn't. (whereas in Interleaf, it's a breeze.)

One thing Framemaker shares with Interleaf is really, really crappy on-line help...

Other ways in which I am weird:
I document hardware.
I drive a Subaru
I LOVE Thai food AND like McDonald's
I use Mozilla as my mail tool (on Windows--I use the KDE mail tool in Linux)

Richard wrote:

Apparently Interleaf is a somewhat arcane tool with an enormous learning
curve. This guy said he could tell in one or two questions if a person knew
interleaf or was BS-ing. He said I was the first candidate he's talked with
in two days that answered that question honestly. He was refreshed.

Nora (If I told you where I worked, I'd have to kill Andrew Plato...)
--
Nora
"But finding not keeping's the lesson" (Roxy Music, "2 H.B.")

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com