RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:43:25 -0800 (PST)

Good question, John, and one that I've faced both as a programmer and as a writer.
As a programmer, the question is, "Can you code in XYZ language?" or "Have you
worked with DEF Operating System?" or other variants.

I learned to answer that question with a variation on your #3: "I've learned 7
operating systems and 9 programming languages in my career. Generally, all I need is
a reference guide to code in an new language/operating system. I've also learned
that what you really want in a programmer is someone who can solve problems. To me,
that's the key to programming: being able to solve problems. And do it on schedule
and within budget." Generally, that worked for me.

Fast-forward to Technical Writing. The language is a constant--subject to the usual
need to learn local jargon and industry terminology--but the tools change. So I find
that I can answer honestly, if occasionally incompletely, and get points along the
way.

I DID get asked, early in my writing career, if I "was familiar with FrameMaker."
This was several years, and jobs ago. I said that I was, and that was true. While
working at a place that used a different DTP, I had been given the task of
evaluating Frame, which was at that time substantially cheaper. So I had played
around with a demo. So I felt I could claim familiarity. When I got that job I
busted my butt to learn Frame as I went along. It worked out.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying I like #3 better. But, you pays your
money and you takes your chances.

For the Mystery Channel, I'm
Tom Murrell

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> Let me pose a question.
>
> During the interview, you are aware that the company is very TOOLS oriented
> (based on their description of the position) and are asked if you can create
> flow charts using ABC Flowcharter, which you've never used. You are a wiz
> with Visio and you heard from someone you respect that "If you know Visio,
> ABC Flowcharter is similar".
>
> So...when you are asked "Can create flow charts using ABC Flowcharter", do
> you say"
>
> 1) Yes
> 2) I don't know
> 3) I've never used ABC flowcharter, but I'm good at learning tools and I
> think I can pick it up quickly.
>
> Now...my take on honesty is to pick #1, even though I'm thinking #3. I know
> I can do it, even though I haven't before. Am I lying? I don't think so...in
> fact, I think I'm being honest. The question wasn't "Have I used it.", even
> though I kinda know what they mean. OTOH, the honesty purist might take door
> #3 and hope that the interviewer hasn't heard this explanation before and
> the person they hired fell on their face.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com