Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:25:21 -0800

Charles E Vermette wrote:

- You may not be able to ask "are you a company that blackmarks people
who don't work 70 hours a week," but you *can* casually slip in a
question like "so what evenings/weekends like around here?" (actual
answer I got: "well, I managed not to work last weekend"...I got my
answer without alienating anyone...I also got an offer, which I turned
down...)

Exactly. Why provoke an unnecessary confrontation when you often get your information with a little ingenuity?

One of the best indirect questions someone suggested on this list (I don't recall who - sorry) was "What do you do for lunch around here?" If most people eat at their desk and oontinue working, then you know the company's not very leisurely and may be stressful. However, if you're told that every Friday, the company pays for a communal lunch, you know that it at least tries to think about employee morale.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"To purchase a clear and warrantable body of truth, we must forget and part with much we know."
-Thomas Browne, "Pseudodoxia Epidemica"

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com