Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:56:48 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

So its okay for the employer to return the favor and not tell you everything
about the job as well, right?

It's not a question of whether it's okay -it's a question of what the employer might do. Would you really expect, when you're being interviewed, to be told that the product manager has been campaigning for the funding for the position, and that the CTO has been against it and is going to hate anyone who takes the job? Or that product development is done at the company without the benefit of any planning?

An interview is like a first date: both parties are sizing each other up. Both interviewer and interviewee are usually on their best behavior during an interview, and won't really get to know each other for some time afterward. (Or so I imagine; it's been years since I was single, and my memories of dating are mercifuly blurred)

Under the circumstances, expecting total honesty from either side is asking too much of the average human being. About the best that you can hope for is that the other side doesn't misrepresent itself too much, so that you won't be too seriously disillusioned later.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"To purchase a clear and warrantable body of truth, we must forget and part with much we know."
-Thomas Browne, "Pseudodoxia Epidemica"

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com