RE: I/internet

Subject: RE: I/internet
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:03:48 -0800

Maybe I'm missing something--after all, I just got back from vacation.
Isn't this just a matter of "as defined in the style guide"? As my
father used to say, "Look it up in the dictionary." Pick a style guide
and accept what it says. Or if it's not in your favorite style guide,
pick one variant and be consistent. Language is seldom absolute; or, to
paraphrase, absolute is a relative term in my book.

If you care about the official MSTP version, here's what they say:
----------------------------
Internet
The term the Internet (capitalized) refers to the worldwide collection
of networks that use the TCP/IP protocols to communicate with each
other. The Internet offers a number of tools, including e-mail, the
World Wide Web, and other communication services.
The term internet (lowercase) refers to any large network made up of a
number of smaller networks. In general, avoid use of the lowercase term
or define it so that it's not confused with the Internet.
----------------------------

Happy New Year!

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"Convictions are the more dangerous enemy of truth than lies. "
-Nietzsche

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com