Re: Reporting Structure/Work Model for Documentation Department

Subject: Re: Reporting Structure/Work Model for Documentation Department
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:01:52 -0800 (PST)

"Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au> wrote ...

> Very impressive. And yet, when someone posts
> a link to an "insightful" paper examining the limitations
> of font rasterizing engines--a technology that is
> at the core of what most of us do every day
> (i.e., try to make our well written texts work
> efficiently on computer screens)--you dismiss
> it as "fondling."

I consider fonts a relatively unimportant aspect of tech writing.

> If Microsoft agreed that this wasn't worth bothering
> with, they wouldn't be sinking a few million into
> ClearType technology to try to work around the
> limitations described in the article I pointed to. They
> seem to think it important to find a way to deliver high-
> definition text on line. Most people who deliver text for
> a living (as I do) need to have "insight" into the technology
> so they can "use and understand" it. And profit from it.

Microsoft wants to dominate as such they often invest in relatively arcane
things to have, yet another, way to extract money from people.

Andrew Plato

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com