Re: Same content for multiple clients

Subject: Re: Same content for multiple clients
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:31:34 -0800

I am a freelance writer and I have written manuals for one client on a
specific software program. Another client has asked me to write a manual on the same software program. My question is about content. How much do you change/modify the content from one client to another?

When I was in a similar position, I used the situation to improve the material. I added more background material and explanatory notes, as well as many advanced features that I had had to leave out of the first manual for lack of time and the need to keep the price of the printed version down.

In the end, everyone was happy. I was happy because I got a chance to cover the material the way I wanted to, and the second client was very pleased (the first had gone out of business in the interim). As for customers, they liked the first version I did, but they REALLY liked the second.

Maybe you can turn this situation into a similar opportunity. Since presumably you don't have to spend time learning the basics of the software the second time around, you can concentrate on delivering extras.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"'To be, or not to be; that's the question,' said Eeyore. 'Some of us can, and some of us can't, and that's all there is to it. You know what I've been suffering, Piglet? Slings and arrows, that's what. And it's my birthday as well. I would have liked a balloon. But what do I get? Slings and arrows. Not to mention a sea of troubles. Did I mention a sea of troubles, Piglet?'"
- Les Barker, "Eeyore's Speech From 'Piglet'"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com