RE: Description of Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Description of Tech Writers
From: LDurway -at- pav -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:57:09 -0600

"You know those manuals that came with your computer? I write stuff like
that. Except mine are for software that helps chemical engineers run their
factories better. You won't see my books in your local bookstore."

I leave it at that.

> I have found that the simplest response when people ask what
> I do is, "I
> write and illustrate instruction manuals." At that, a lot of
> people give me
> a look bordering on pity and say, "Oh, that must be really boring...."

Yes, that's one of the responses I get. Other responses are:

- You must be REAL smart!
- That must be REAL hard!
- I bet that pays well!
- <blank look of stoned deer in headlights>

and my favorite:

- Well, then, maybe you can tell me why my backspace key doesn't work. (uh,
gee, I'd have to know what kind of computer you're on and what software
you're using) IF YOU'RE SO SMART, WHY CAN'T YOU TELL ME WHY MY BACKSPACE
KEY WON'T WORK??? (<blank look of deer, etc.>)

BTW, we had a layoff here yesterday. I survived.

Happy day, folks,
Lindsey

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com