RE: Description of Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Description of Tech Writers
From: Elisabeth Zakes <ezakes -at- PlanView -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:26:36 -0600

I document an Enterprise-level software application. I write the help files,
the user manuals, have input in the training materials, and am piloting a
training video collection. I usually describe myself as, "I teach people how
to use the software without requiring an instructor to be on site."

Elisabeth B. Zakes
Sr. Technical Writer
PlanView, Inc.
Austin, TX
www.planview.com
ezakes -at- planview -dot- com

> Alas, I decided to start a new thread today. I have just completed my
> requirements for my degree in Scientific and Technical Communications at
the
> University of Minnesota. I went back to college at the age of 26 and I am
> now the ripe age of 30. Anyway, one thing I am constantly asked by people
is
> what my degree is all about and what I will do with it. I try to explain
> about technical writing/documentation/message design/etc., and hear a
> variety of responses depending on the person asking the question.
>
> Okay, back to what I wanted to ask of you. I am curious of what people say
> to you. The best comment I heard was from one of my cousins. I told him my
> degree was in the Department of Rhetoric, and he said, "So, you're going
> get a BS in BS."
>
> Because our field is not known of by a majority of the populous, I
> constantly find coming up with unique replies to inquiries.
>
> Kelly

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com