Re: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?

Subject: Re: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:54:00 -0500

Grin. Big grin. Get it? The rest of me has disappeared and all that's left is a VERY BIG GRIN.

Waytago, John!

Any other makethemsitupandtakenotice tips out there? Here's mine:

Today after a brief training session by our admin on our time entry application and how ashamed she is of our time entry practices, I sent her an e-mail proposing a number of topics to document for the 90-plus people that have to use the system. She responded positively (thank god), unusual for a woman who is negative about just about everything.

/whining off
Karen Black in Toronto

From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
Tech writers are often commenting that they aren't noticed, aren't
respected, aren't appreciated. Wanna turn that around?

Recent story, about an hour ago:

<snip>

The best one...from the Manager of Network Operations Center, who hired
me...."Stop sending out your resume for Feb...you have work to do here."

What's my point?

Do something obvious. Do something on a big scale that will get attention
from outside your immediate group. Don't wait to be asked or told, and don't
ask if it is OK. Identify a need, do it and get it out there. Who knows...is
may be just what someone else in the company, who normally doesn't know who
you are, is looking for.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer for ever and ever, amen
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com