Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)

Subject: Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:38:49 -0500

Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 06:43:11 -0800 (PST)

>When we talk about educating the "public," we're not
>talking about my aunt, who's a full-time homemaker.
>Nor are we talking about the guy outside running a
>bulldozer. Obviously they have no interest in what we
>do. But there are thousands (maybe millions?) of
>people who have at least a tangential interest in
>technical documentation...whether they know it or not.
>And that's the point!

If there's actually a guy outside your office running a bulldozer, head out
at lunchtime and ask him if an operator's manual came with it when it was
purchased. The answer might be "Yes" or it might be "I don't really know,"
but I doubt the answer will be "Nope."

That group with the tangential interest in technical documentation is larger
than you suspect.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus, MA