Re: U Attitude

Subject: Re: U Attitude
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 07:02:19 -0500

Ros,

U may be right ;-) That interpretation of Sangeetha's question didn't occur to me. I thought perhaps the question, originating as it did in India, really did refer to the class markers in British English.

Dick

Ros Byrne wrote:

From the context of your enquiry, Sangeetha, I wonder if Dick's reference
might be a red herring (that is, misleading).

In the general area of business communication, *you attitude* means to
write from the perspective of the reader, rather than the writer. (eg Your
order will be delivered on Tuesday, rather than We will send your order on
Tuesday.) If this is what you're interested in, I can give more details
off-list.

The site referred to seems to focus on the British concern with class,
displayed by typing people and activities as either acceptable (like Us),
or not acceptable (non-U).

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com