Re: Freelancing

Subject: Re: Freelancing
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 06:35:29 EST

Diane Evans <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com> once totally annoyed a copy center
worker by asking to pay the posted price of 0 .025 cents each for copies.

I can think of at least two former Digital engineers, poster boys for
anal-retentiveness, who have each repeatedly filed lawsuits and pressed
charges with merchants over things just like that. They win, too--they're not
wrong, and they're not stupid.

In that spirit, but certainly not to suggest a course of action, let me point
out that a posted price is legally binding. Had you insisted on paying, say,
25 cents for your thousand copies, you would eventually have prevailed in
court. (You would probably even win treble damages for the pain and suffering
you endured when they called the cops on you 8^)

But let us give thanks today that life is too short to encourage us to tilt
at such windmills, even to save a few bucks, except for the obsessives and
compulsives for whom this is sport!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com