RE: similarity of work

Subject: RE: similarity of work
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:35:15 EST

Beena V Katekar <Beena -dot- Katekar -at- kshema -dot- com> asks about the percentage of
similarity between user manuals created for same product by three different
technical writers with defined standards. What an interesting question!

To let you know where I'm coming from, I write a column for the STC Quality
SIG that is predicated on the idea that technical documents, particularly
from the same company, can be more alike than different, even from one
product to another. So you can expect a high number coming from me 8^) What
should be similar?

* The front and back matter
* The layout and design
* The technical terminology for the product
* The function points (it's the same product)
* The level of presentation (it's the same audience)
* The procedures (not word-for-word identical, but very similar)
* The screen shots (the sample data may vary, but the screens should not)

This represents the overwhelming majority of the pages in a typical user's
guide.

What will not look similar? Probably the introductory and explanatory
portions; probably the order of presentation. With an editor on staff, the
language will be very similar; without an editor, the language will probably
be significantly different.

Depending on how comprehensive the standards are, the procedures may be very
similar; and if the writer is experienced, one procedure will look very like
another anyway. (Seasoned pros who are simply trying to document the product
rather than stamp their uniqueness on the books produce generally similar
results.

Given comprehensive standards and three writers of similar experience, I
would expect the three books to look very similar. I'm not sure what
percentage I would assign to that, but I'm inclined to suggest it could be
over 67%; that is, two-thirds of the sentences and screen shots would be the
same.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com