RE: Fields arranged as a sentence

Subject: RE: Fields arranged as a sentence
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:59:25 -0800

Lindsey,
I've documented any number of query tools over the years and I find the
sentence style arrangement by far the easiest for the user to
understand, whether they are experts or not. In one instance, I actually
discovered that a different arrangement was masking a problem with the
programmed query logic and the tool was consistently returning incorrect
results. Putting the interface into sentence style forced the problem
out in the open. It also made it much easier for the users to understand
how to use the application without help.

I really think you answered your own question: the sentence style
arrangement communicates the semantics better. Your field style
arrangement isn't going to communicate the nature of the arguments any
better than default prompts will. From an interface perspective, an
organization that better communicates its purpose is the better choice.
Just because your users are experts doesn't mean you shouldn't make it
easy on them. It's great that you've been asked to provide input on the
interface, but I don't think your input should be based on what's easier
for you as a writer. (That said, I do think that processes that are
difficult to document can often highlight problems with the
interface/process.)

Lisa