Re: Fields arranged as a sentence

Subject: Re: Fields arranged as a sentence
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:45:14 -0500

I think the programmer has gone out of the way to provide a user-friendly, helpful interface that you should embrace enthusiastically. The only suggestion I would make is that where the field is limited to an enumerable set of choices (as with the operators), the choices should be presented as a dropdown list.

In our own application, we do something similar, refreshing each dropdown list, if necessary, on the basis of the choices made up to that point in the sentence.

If you find this challenging to document, just slow down a little and bite of smaller chunks. Devote as much space as necessary to describing the use of each field before moving on to the next. Provide callouts to key the discussion to the fields, etc. Don't try to reduce the documentation to a table of field names and definitions, as this clearly will not do the job. If you are working under severe style manual constraints that you feel prevent you from addressing the particular GUI in a satisfactory manner, discuss these artificial constraints with your boss/editor/whoever and address them; don't let them stop you from doing your job.

My two cents,

Dick

LDurway -at- pav -dot- com wrote:

I want a few opinions on GUI style.

I'm documenting a GUI operation that requires the user to enter several
arguments. The programmer has arranged these fields as a sentence, sort of a
fill-in-the-blanks thingie. It looks like the following, where the angle
brackets indicate the fields & the type of value that the field accepts:

If <variable-name> is <less-than/greater-than/equal-to> <number> then
generate <event-type>.

I find this type of style awkward to document.

Question: Do you consider this sentence style to be a good thing or a bad
thing? or is a more label-oriented style better? I'm thining of proposing
a label-oriented style like the following:

Variable name: <variable-name>
Comparison operator: <greater-than/etc.>
...and so on.

The advantage of the programmer's style is that it communicates the
semantics of the operation better. Even so, it doesn't clarify the precise
nature of the args. The programmer says he can initialize each field with
an appropriate default indicating the type of argument the user needs to
enter. It's still seems funky to me.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com