RE: Sowtware tools and Java Help - Robo Hell 3 users

Subject: RE: Sowtware tools and Java Help - Robo Hell 3 users
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:50:43 -0800

Anton wrote:

| Two major Questions - Those of you using RoboHell X3
|
| Isit worth upgrading now ? or waiting until after the first
| service pack is released ?.

With most software products, it's safest to wait a while for the first
service pack unless you have a compelling, immediate need for
functionality offered in the new release. Given the track record, I
would say this is particularly true of RoboHelp.

| I have being burnt on previous releases and service packs -First
| cut my teeth on Robo help versions 1, 3, 4, 7 8 and 9 (learnt never
| to buy the first version if you can )-

Ah yes, I well remember the 5.0 release. ;-) There's been a lot of
commentary on X3 (strengths, weaknesses, bugs, and workarounds) in the
RoboHelp forums. You might want to browse around there and see what you
find.

| Although not a very skilled FrameMaker User - version
| (5,5 and 6)
|
| Would it be worth going the FrameMaker 7 route with plug-in
| / add-on Software ? - ( I am still not clear if I could create
| usable Java Help (still in the research mode - directly from
| FrameMaker 7)
|
| Any positive advice ?
|
| The decision will be mine and it could make or break the
| documentation portion of the project which, again I have
| the sole responsibility.
|
| My 4 outputs will be M$ Word Docs, PDF docs, Online Html Help
| and JavaHelp.

FrameMaker is a great tool, and we use it on most of our projects.
However, for your chosen output formats (MS Word, HTML Help, and
JavaHelp), why not take a look at WebWorks Publisher WordHelp? It's
substantially less expensive than RoboHelp X3, stable and reliable, and
produces all the output formats you need.

Regards,

David Knopf ~ mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Knopf Online ~ San Francisco, CA ~ http://www.knopf.com
See the HAT Output Comparison at http://www.knopf.com/resources/hatcomp

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker, WebWorks Publisher & WordHelp
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Consulting & Training on RoboHelp * RoboGURU
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wordhelp & wwp-users

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com