Sowtware tools and Java Help - Robo Hell 3 users

Subject: Sowtware tools and Java Help - Robo Hell 3 users
From: Anton <tronajc -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:18:40 GMT

Hi Folks

I have a question for Java help developers and RoboHell X3 users.
May somebody else may have an alternative

But first some background.

I am a happy Robo Help Html user - Ver 9.2 - Although not the ultimate tool for creating Webhelp and general online Html help - it works well and I have learnt how to COPE and AVOID most of the bugs in the application.

About 3 or so months ago I started creating Java Help with It and apart from some minor issues it works well. Even "upgrade to Java Help 1.1.3
so that we could play with the Java.hs files " was not to great a pain.

Now my situation - I am in small company with a major product for a major international player - whom uses the newest and best tools on the market.

We have to upgrade - I have search the achieves - Compared Tools (thanks to David and others for the for his comparison chart)

Two major Questions - Those of you using RoboHell X3

Isit worth upgrading now ? or waiting until after the first service pack is released ?.

I have being burnt on previous releases and service packs -First cut my teeth on Robo help versions 1, 3, 4, 7 8 and 9 (learnt never to buy the first version if you can )- and having to live with work arounds.

Or Question 2

Although not a very skilled FrameMaker User - version (5,5 and 6)

Would it be worth going the FrameMaker 7 route with plug-in / add-on Software ? - ( I am still not clear if I could create usable Java Help (still in the research mode - directly from FrameMaker 7)

Any positive advice ?

The decision will be mine and it could make or break the documentation portion of the project which, again I have the sole responsibility.

My 4 outputs will be M$ Word Docs, PDF docs, Online Html Help and Java Help.

Thanks
Tronajc

WARNING - all my comments are mine, I do have a good sense of humour. Many responses contain some twisted sense of humour as well as wit - hopefully - I refuse to take any e-mail seriously as I consider it a forum to exchange thoughts, idea, and points of view. A informal method of communication. Note: I enjoy reading Sig lines - the best seen today was:

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com