RE: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:58:21 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mike O. [mailto:obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com]
> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 12:04 PM

[...]> > I'm a lone writer at a company that's still using
> > Windows, but that is investigating a move to
> > Linux.
> There is a Windows version of OpenJade that works fine with
> DocBook.

[...]
> If you just need A and B, stick with Word or Frame. If you need
> A, B, and C, use DocBook (or Frame if you swing that way).

I've used and preferred Frame for years, but Adobe says
there's no business case for porting it to Linux.

My company wants to exit Windows, soon. Linux is the
intended landing zone.

Also, it seems most likely that everybody would switch
to OpenOffice.org, as the best migration from Word.
I'm definitely trying to go that way, but OOo is still
not Frame. Thus I'm considering other options that
are reputed to be ideal for long(ish) docs with cross
references, and indexes, etc., and that offer some
typesetting control.

Mostly, I want to be able to make things pretty,
and then forget about formatting until the next
time Marketing "has a big idea".

But I don't want to take on the overhead of SGML.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com