Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program

Subject: Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:42:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Cc: <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 1:18 AM

> "Brad Jensen" <> wrote ...
>
> > Well, that is a personal reaction, not the absolute truth of the
objective
> > universe.
>
> Anybody who thinks Andrew Plato has the absolute truth should be beaten
with a
> dead hamster. That includes me.

Ow! Ow! Owww!

> > Some people need a little encouragement to dare to dream.
>
> There is a difference between encouragement and misleading people.
Consider these
> two lines:
>
> 1. Running a business is very hard work, but with determination, planning,
and
> control of resources you can build a profitable business.
>
> 2. Let me tell you about a quick and simple way to earn the kind of
freedom and
> financial success you're looking for.

Well, if it works it is probably simple and quick.

> #1 is honest encouragement and help. You're telling people that something
can be
> done, but also warning them about what's required to get there. #2 is BS.
Its
> somebody's ego talking who wants to sell you a book. Its no different than
the
> guys down at the Pontiac dealership telling you the used Firebird you want
was
> only driven to church by a nice ol

I am not sure of that.

> Encouragement
> Encouragment must be honest and realistic. Telling people they can live
some
> lifforeclosedry off forclosed real estate, high-margin consumer goods, or
writing
> video scripts is BS.

Or tech writing. I wonder how many start in it, compared to how many stay in
it?

>The grand overwhelming majority of people who go into
> business for themselves fail in the first year.

People don't fail, unless they give up. Businesses may fail. My third
business is much more profitable and successful than my second business was.
Your third tech document was proabably a lot better than your first or
second.

> And if you start a business, you
> must contend with this fact along with a myriad of other complex issues.

Statistics says nothing about the individual case. (So said my statistics
teacher.)

> There is
> prosperityay to prosparity.
>
> >> Furthermore, you have to wonder: if somebody has a "sure fire way of
making
> >> money with virtually no skills whatsoever" why on earth would they
share it
> >> with you?
> >
> > For the same reasons you post on this list.
>
> Right, they're selfish blowhards. The only difference is that my rants are
FREE
> and I know I'm a moron.

Your rants aren't free, I have to read and consider them. I can't think of a
definition of moron that fits you.

> >> If I figured out a way to make easy money, do you honestly think I
would
> >> run out and share that with everybody? Hell no! I'd sit back and rake
in the
> >> dough.
> >
> > I do not believe you for one second.
>
> Yeah, well, trust me. There are plenty of things I don't share with

So you are sitting back and raking in the dough?

> > Even now you are trying to influence people to act in the way
> > that you think will lead to their happiness. I would expect you to
> > continue in similar behavior, with perhaps even more joy and
> > exuberence, if you started making 'easy money'.
>
> There is no such thing as "easy money" unless you consider inheritance and
> lotteries.

I don't consider either of those easy money.

> All money is hard won and earned. And anybody who tells you otherwise
> is a liar. You cannot just walk out and start a business and rake in the
cash. It
> takes a lot of hard work and a lot of determination.

A light heart and a sense of humor, and totally merciless determination.

Most people would rather be right than rich.

> Yeah, okay - every now and then somebody by luck falls into something
lucrative
> when they least expected it. But this is very rare.

Go talk to some people who have made money doing something, and I think you
might
find data points that don't follow your hypotheical curve.

> That isn't to say its impossible. If you work very hard, have a clear
vision,
> plan well, and are dedicated to what you're doing - you will probably
succeed.
> But along the way, there is usually a lot of failure and disillusionment.
Each
> failure is a chance to learn.

Feedback. It's just feedback.

> I personally believe that hard work always pays off. I believe in the
American
> Dream. And I also know that that dream isn't going to come out of a book
or some
> cheap seminar. It comes from mind-numbing, back-breaking, gobsessiveder
busting
> hard work coupled with a almost obessive drive to succeed.

Those things don't hurt, but they don't necessarily help.

> > Yes, and the metaphysical version is available for free on my website at
> > www.actasif.com under "Prosperity Step by Step - the Secrets of the
> > Universe."
>
> Maybe I should staProsperitythese.
>
> Andrew Plato's 10 Steps to Prosparity
>
> 1. Shut the hell up an listen for a change.

I agree with this!

> 2. The single common element in all your failed relationships (projects,
jobs,
> etc.) is YOU.

The single common element in all of your successes is you!

> 3. You only need tPerseverance.1% of the time to be a genius.

agree. although I say 2%

> 4. Perserverance furthers.
>
> 5. Where ever you go, there you are.
>
> 6. Its easier to act like you knew what you were doing after its all said
and
> done.

It is a far better thing to beg forgiveness than ask permission (the Parable
of the Talents).

> 7. There are no simple answers for complex problems.

There are very few complex problems.

> 8. If you stare at something long enough, eventually you'll figure it
out - or
> die. Either way, you'll be at peace.

Thought directed by intelligence is the most powerful force in the universe.

> 9. At the end of the day, somebody always has to sign the check.

And it is more fun when it is you.

> and of course....
>
> 10. Get the hell back to work, you.
>
> Andrew Plato

Stop and think.

Please give me ten principles of tech writing excellence.

Brad Jensen

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com