RE: Good Manual Numbering Scheme?

Subject: RE: Good Manual Numbering Scheme?
From: "Ronan DEPAGNE" <ronan -dot- depagne -at- atempo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:50:52 +0100

> I was just going to use the
> type manual, julian date, repair shop initials, and 1-up for each of
> three manuals.
>
> For example, for a Repair Station Manual, Quality Control Manual, and
> Training Manual, all released on 10/27/01 (fat chance), for Sterling
> Aviation, I'd assign the following numbers:
>
> • RSM-300-SA-001
> • QCM-300-SA-002
> • TM-300-SA-003.
>
> Does anyone have a better scheme?

I would not presume to believe I have anything better to offer, except
for a suggestion, your numbers apply to manuals, I understand, in that
case, I do not think you need the last number to distinguish your
manuals from one another, since the initials in the first group do it
already (RSM <> QCM <>TM). You could keep the last number for
versionning purposes:

RSM-300-SA-001 (1st edition)
QCM-300-SA-001 (1st edition)
TM-300-SA-001 (1st edition)

RSM-300-SA-002 (2nd edition)
QCM-300-SA-002 (2nd edition)
TM-300-SA-002 (2nd edition)

> Thanks,

HTH

--
Ronan DEPAGNE

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com