Re: Big bucks in tech writing - show me the money!

Subject: Re: Big bucks in tech writing - show me the money!
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:49:42 -0700 (PDT)

Debates about overtime are a good omen; increased overtime is
usually an early sign of economic recovery and increased hiring.
I'd be more worried if there was no overtime work to argue
about.

Andrew wrote:
> Now the business will go to tech writing consulting
> firms and out of state.
I have a toll-free number just for that purpose... :)

< And I can tell you that its downright impossible
> sometimes to make money if you follow all the insane
> laws out there.
...not disagreeing, but isn't that business philosopy a little
out of fashion at the moment?

> Alternatively, they will outsource the jobs en masse to
> companies and then not have to even worry about overtime pay.
> They pay one flat rate to the tech writing firm.
Cool... then you can negotiate corp-to-corp terms with the tech
writing firm and avoid the whole FT, "at-will" employment
scheme.

> Yes, companies do a lot of boneheaded things to hurt
> profitability. And apparently one of the newest boneheaded
> things will be hiring contract writers in California.
Cool again.. maybe California will become a giant sponge to soak
up low-skilled, low-salaried FT tech employees :)

Most likely though, contracts will just be revised to prevent
anything from really changing, just as they were after the
Microsoft ruling.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com