RE: Big bucks in tech writing

Subject: RE: Big bucks in tech writing
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:21:46 -0700

The only time I question whether I should be a technical writer is when
someone else has talked me into doing something else. It's kinda easy
for people to think they can do because, as others have pointed out,
technical writing can touch on so many fields. But I'm just not happy
when writing is not the key component of my job. I may be doing ten
other things besides, but at core I am a technical writer.

As for corporate structure, I didn't know one existed. I was completely
oblivious to business and how it worked. I certainly wasn't aware that
there were such things as "junior" and "senior" writers. Geez, I was
lucky to land a job! As we've discussed here many times, there's not
much of a "career ladder" for tech writers. I like the trend that
companies have started to have technical career tracks for those of us
who actually like being techies but still have more to contribute to the
company than just showing up.

No clue how long I'll do this. I'll know it's time to switch when I
start getting that twitchy feeling about tech writing that I normally
get when I have to do a different job. I hope that's not for a long
time.

Lisa

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com