What do you ask the interviewer? (Revisited)

Subject: What do you ask the interviewer? (Revisited)
From: "Bethy H." <bethyesque -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:59:14 -0700

I thought some of you might enjoy this little story. I had an interview this
afternoon and decided to try some of the questions that were listed here
about 10 days ago. It was for a job fairly outside the scope of this list,
but I wanted to convey this as a follow-up to all the excellent suggestions.
During my interview, I actually slipped the questions in while we talked,
often turning them into general comments. For example, "From what you've
shared, I can see that you are quite proud to work here, right?"

About three-quarters of the way through the interview, a gentleman walked
into the room to use some of the office equipment. We continued our talk,
and at one point she paused, smiled big, narrowed her eyes (in a humorous,
eyebrow raised kind of way) and said, "Wow! When did this interview turn
around?"

She turned to the man in the room and laughed, "I kind of feel like I'm the
one who applied for the job."

The man, who had heard part of our conversation, said, "Well, you did tell
me you wanted someone who had a strong personality. It sounds to me like
she's got what you're looking for." He winked at me and walked out. The
interviewer then invited me back for another interview with the Regional
Operations Manager at the end of the week. She also mentioned that only a
few of the candidates were moving on to talk to the ROM and that she felt I
really was the type of person she would like to have in her department.

I went away from the interview feeling very good, and far more prepared than
I normally would have been. I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions.
I could have easily come up with my own questions, but they wouldn't have
been nearly as thought provoking on the employer's part as the ones that
were posted here.

Bethy

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com