RE: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!

Subject: RE: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:35:49 -0600

Hi Bonnie,

I have no idea what OpenOffice is like ... never got that far. My main
worry, is that some on this list might loose time that they can't afford, by
trying to install OpenOffice, and then end up running in circles trying to
un-install. Apparently Star-Office was created out of OpenOffice, so that
may be a non-MS avenue.

My problem was that re-installing, rebuilding, and deleting of OpenOffice
requires certain files from the OpenOffice folder, and if specific files get
corrupt ... you can't recover, re-install, un-install, etc. I kept getting a
warning that some 'blank' file name was missing. It's like being caught in a
circle of "can't delete - can't install." Since I couldn't find any relevant
documentation on uninstalling OpenOffice in the event of a corrupt
'setup.ini' ... I gave up.

Also of worry to me, according to PC Magazine's John Dvorak: "OpenOffice
with the presentation graphics module is impressive. Microsoft should be
extremely concerned, and I assume the company will find some way to break
this software, perhaps with a service patch to Windows XP that
"accidentally" causes weird problems. This will have to be subtle, lest it
draw attention to the tactic."

I have the latest Windows updates on my computer. Maybe that's where the
problems are! And being like everyone else out there with dead-lines ... I
can't afford to fool around with a product that may be Microsoft's next
target. Will wait and see what happens.

Bruce

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com