Re: Yahoo has no nucular staff tech writers

Subject: Re: Yahoo has no nucular staff tech writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:40:48 -0700

Kevin McLauchlan wrote:

As Dick pointed out, the shift in pronounciation that's
involved is very common.

Yes. There's a technical term for that. It's called dumbing-down.

If that's so, then each generation of English speakers is dumber than the previous one. Our present day standards might very well seem crude and inaccurate to speakers of Standard English from 150 years ago.

You could, with equal justice, call the process smoothing out the language. For many people, Bush's regional pronounciation of "nuclear" is easier to pronounce - especially when talking quickly.

(And please note that you are unlikely to hear me writing in support of our southern neighbor's president ever again - on any issue)

You are aware, of course, that King Canute was not trying to hold back the tide? He was essentially being sarcastic on a grand scale with his fawning courtiers, whom he saw as hopelessly sycophanitc and blinkered.

Yes, I've read Bede in English translation.But whether you take the popular reference to Canute (or, more properly, Cnut), or the literary one, the point remains the same: you can't stop linguistic change.

So, how many manuals have you written in Ebonics, lately?
And, why not?

Because nobody has paid me to, and I don't know the dialect. It would be interesting to try one day.

I've never denied that I'm primarily a speaker of Standard English, or that having a standard isn't useful. I just try to keep things in perspective.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Down, set down your liquor and your girl from off your knee;
For the wind has come to say, 'You must take me while you may,
If you'd go to Mother Carey (Walk her round to Mother Carey!)
We're bound to Mother Carey where she feeds her chicks at sea!'"
- Rudyard Kipling, "Anchor Song"

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com