MIL STD 38784 - Tech. Man. Style and Format Reqs.

Subject: MIL STD 38784 - Tech. Man. Style and Format Reqs.
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:45:57 -0600

I am working from MIL STD 38784 - Tech. Man. General Style and Format
Requirements, and have found that a couple of things it specifies are
archaic, or are not easily accomplished within Word (I don't know about
Framemaker). I have run into this with some other requirements, including
the preparation of Maintenance Requirement Cards, which would make creating
the documents easier using a typewriter and candlelight in a cave rather
than Word.

Has anyone worked from extremely revised copy of MIL STD-38784. Both
contracts that I have worked on with this MIL STD have edited certain
portions so they are more applicable, but nothing great. Also, the person
approving the documents bends to my suggestions sometimes, but not others.

The aforementioned MIL STD was last revised in July of 1995. I believe that
is before the world's most popular word processing program was widely
implemented. I understand that some concepts and ideas don't change, but
capability does. Am I wrong in thinking "Hey, time for an update here;
review your requirements...they don't make much sense anymore. Not only are
you getting less from your documentation than you could, you are shooting
yourself in the foot for future updates."

That is my mini-rant for today.

Justin
Who doesn't usually require much more than a mini-rant.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com