RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:08:02 -0400

::: I understand that some people have had indifferent or worse
::: experiences
::: with STC chapters or the overall organization, but blanket
::: condemnations are useless.

I have to agree here. I'm not an STC cheerleader as I do see a lot of
room for improvement in a lot of what they do, but it is worth joining
at least to see what's up. Some people have had horrible interractions
with the STC (like Andrew). Others have had nothing but wonderful
experiences. The only way you can determine its worth is really to join
and see what it's like for yourself. It's not like you're joinign a
fraternity (believe me *g*) or anything... It's a simple gamble of about
$140(US) for a year's experimentation. Most people find that the info
they get from the publications is enough to justify the cost. Others
look toward the SIGs for specialized info. Others find the most value in
the conferences, workshops, and local meetings. What I hear from most
people regarding the STC is that you get out of it what you put into it.
I guess that's true. I've made some good connections and have had some
opportunities come my way as a result of my work with the STC, but I've
also noticed that my personal ROI wasn't spectacular. I guess YMMV in
that regard, as others do seem to get a lot out of it. Whatever the
case, the best advice is to test the waters for youself and be outgoing
in your local chapter to really see what's what.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com