RE: MS Announces Security flaws in HTML Help

Subject: RE: MS Announces Security flaws in HTML Help
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:06:29 -0500

> For anyone who may not be aware of it, there is a Windows
> Update tool that is accessible from Internet Explorer (Tools
> > Windows Update). It determines what patches you need and

The Windows Update tool you describe in IE is actually just a a website that
Microsoft operates. You access it at www.windowsupdate.com.

This is a very handy tool and I hit the site about once a month to check for
updates. Note that you should ALWAYS read about the patch you've selected to
install - don't let Microsoft install everything it wants to. For example,
it's not necessary to install MS's .NET framework, but the site will often
recommend that you do.

It's definitely great for keeping up with the (seemingly daily) security
patches, and it's also great when setting up a new computer. Install the
OS, get your netcard or modem working, go to www.windowupdate.com and most
drivers that you need to get things running smoothly will be automatically
installed.

Chris Grant

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com